GSRC Magazines and Websites
Magazines Available at the GSRC
- The Advocate
- Men’s Health
- Yoga Journal
- Original Plumbing
Local Organizations of interest
- Berkshire Stonewall Community Coalition:An organization to foster community and promote the wellbeing of LGBT people in the Berkshire region through community, networking, support, and advocacy.
- BiGLATAWilliams Bisexual, Gay, Lesbian and Transgendered Alumni – great for networking, BiGLATA also offers research grants for pretty much whatever you want to do, provided that it’s queer-related.
- Elizabeth Freeman Center Counseling, intervention, and referrals for victims of domestic violence and sexual assault
- Tapestry Health in Pittsfield. Services provided at these locations include Pap smears, breast exams, STI/HIV testing for men and women, birth control, pregnancy testing and options counseling, and emergency contraception.
- Planned Parenthood in Bennington. They offer Abortion Referral, Birth Control Services, Emergency Contraception, General Health Care, HIV Testing, HPV & Hepatitis Vaccines, Men’s Health Services, Patient Education, Pregnancy Testing, Options & Services, STD Testing & Treatment, and Women’s Health Services
- Fenway Community Health:In the service of minorities (including LGBT) who have been victims of viole nce or harassment.
- Gay & Lesbian National Hotline: 888-THE-GLNH Weekday evenings 6-10pm , Saturday noon – 5pm EDT . Offers peer counseling, information, and referrals anonymously.
- Gay and Lesbian Victims Assistance Hotline : (800) 259-1538 Helps document violence against gays and lesbians; has referral information and resources.
Advocacy and Education Websites
- Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network:GLSEN works to assure that each member of every school community is valued and respected regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression.
- National Coalition for LGBT Health:Committed to improving the health and well being of LGBT individuals and communities through public education, coalition building, and advocacy.
- Community United Against Violence:The nations oldest community project focused on anti-queer hate violence. Information on prevention and advocacy, youth empowerment, domestic violence, transgender issues, speakers, and recent statistics. 24 hr crisis line (415) 333-HELP (4357)
- Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation:Promotes and ensures fair, accurate, and inclusive media representation of (LGBT) people and events as a means of eliminating homophobia and discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity.
- Youth Resource:A project of advocates for youth, dedicated to creating programs and advocating for policies that encourage young people to make responsible, informed decisions about their sexual and reproductive health.
- Human Rights Campaign Foundation:HRC is a civil rights organization working to achieve LGBT equality. The site includes articles on Religion, Coming Out, and Marriage, as well as pages about State Laws and a Congressional scorecard.
- Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund:Takes judicial action to support LGBT rights, and offers specialized assistance to other attorneys. Lambda legal has regional offices across the nation.
- National Center for Lesbian Rights:Legal resource center dedicated to advancing the rights and safety of lesbians and their families through litigation, public policy advocacy, and education. They also represent gay men, bisexual and transgender individuals on key issues.
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF):Engages in lobbying and advocacy and supports national conferences for the LGBT community including the annual Creating Change Conference.
- PFLAG Parents & Friends of Lesbians & Gays:PFLAG is an advocacy organization of family and friends of LGBT individuals. Supplies educational materials at low cost, and counters anti-gay propaganda.
- Family Pride Coalition:The Family Pride Coalition (FPC) has for 25 years been the only national non-profit organization solely dedicated to equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) parents and their families.
- HeartStrong Inc:A national organization devoted to supporting gay and lesbian persons who are or have attended religious educational institutions.
- Gender Education and Advocacy:A national organization focused on the needs, issues and concerns of gender variant people in human society. Seeks to educate and advocate for all human beings who suffer from gender-based oppression in all of its many forms.
- Astraea Lesbian Foundation For Justice:Works for social, racial and economic justice in the U.S. and internationally. Their grantmaking and philanthropic advocacy programs help lesbians and allied communities challenge oppression and claim their human rights.
- National Association of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Community Centers (NALGBTCC):Exists to support and enhance lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community centers, which are engines of community organizing and liberation, and crucial to the health and strength of LGBT communities. The website has a search engine to help you find centers around the country.
- National Black Justice Coalition:NBJC is a national civil rights organization of Black lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered people and our allies dedicated to fostering equality by fighting racism and homophobia.
- Deaf Queer Resource Center:Bulletin board for deaf queers, organizations, HIV/AIDS resources, library, e-zines and publications.
- Zuna Institute:National Advocacy Organization for Black Lesbians that was created to address the needs of black lesbians in the areas of Health, Public Policy, Economic Development, and Education.
- International Foundation for Gender Education:Advocates freedom of gender expression and provides a network of support organizations and services, information, referrals, and speakers bureaus.
- National Association of Black & White Men Together:Fosters inter-racial understanding and relationships within the gay male community. Local chapters are sometimes called Men of All Colors Together.
- Trikone:A network for LGBT South Asians.
- Al-Fatiha Foundation:An International organization dedicated to supporting LGBTQ Muslims.
News Sources, Blogs & Publications